The Wedding Blog for the style Obsessed Bride

Embossed Cocktail Napkins

I love the look of professional quality napkins, but at the price of $20 for 100 napkins, I couldn't justify buying them for myself.

So, I went out and bought the supplies to emboss my own napkins and I think they came out beautifully.  You can make them even more personal if you want to buy a custom stamp from an etsy seller.  I just got a C stamp from Michaels and then borrowed the bird stamp from a previous knottie.



Here's what you need to do to make your own.  Really simple after you get the hang of it.  It took me about an hour to emboss 150.

What You Need:
- Stamp of your choosing
- Slow drying stamp pad (I used Delta Embossing Ink Pad from Michaels)
- Detail embossing powder in the color of your choice (I used Stamp n Stuff Detail Gold from Michaels)
- Embossing heat gun
- Cocktail napkins

1. Start off by saturating your stamp with ink.  You want to make sure the ink covers the entire stamp.  Then, press the stamp firmly on your napkins, wiggling it a bit to make sure the entire stamp is set.  It took me about a bunch of trials to make figure out the best way to wiggle the stamp to get it to come out perfectly.  You might want to do trial runs on paper first.



2. Immediately after you stamp the napkin, pour embossing powder of it.  Make sure you get enough to cover the entire stamp.  Dump the excess back into the powder container so you don't waste any.  Blow lightly on the napkin to get off any stray powder that is around the image.  If you don't get it off, it will be permanent as soon as you apply heat.



3. Turn on the heat gun and move it slowly over the image.  Hold it about an inch or two away.  You'll start to see the powder bubbling.  As soon as the entire image has bubbled, remove the heat.  If you get too close, it will burn your napkin.



Now you're done!  Very easy project!

The hardest part for me was finding the correct gold embossing powder.  I bought two different ones.  The first one I bought had too big of glitter and didn't emboss correctly.  It looked like the right color in the jar, but it just didn't come out right.  This powder was by Stampendous and it's called Jeweled Gold.



So, I went back and found another gold embossing powder.  This one looked way too brown in the jar, so I was weary, but I took it home to try it anyways.  As soon as I applied heat, it raised correctly and turned a very shiny gold.  Perfect!  This one is Stamp n Stuff Detail Gold.



I hope my trials helped someone who was wanting to emboss gold, but couldn't find the correct color.

Edited with cost of 150 napkins:
6 packs of 25 napkins: 99 cents each = $6
Embossing powder: $2.25
Ink pad: $3
Heat gun: $6 (I bought from another bride.  These run about $25 at Michaels and then use a 40% off coupon with it)
Stamp: $1

Total: $18.25

It seems high, but I would have bought the napkins without the personalization anyways, so that takes off $6.  So for the personalization, it came out to about $12.  Plus, I have tons of powder and ink leftover so I can do tons more napkins and then will be able to sell the extra stuff after the wedding.  So really the cost isn't high at all.
You have read this articleDIY / Paper Products with the title Embossed Cocktail Napkins. You can bookmark this page URL http://ssablues.blogspot.com/2010/01/embossed-cocktail-napkins.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Thursday, January 21, 2010

Comments "Embossed Cocktail Napkins"

Post a Comment