The Wedding Blog for the style Obsessed Bride

Something Old, New, Borrowed, Blue

Everyone's heard of the tradition of a bride carrying something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue when she's walking down the aisle.  Do you know why you're supposed to carry these though?  Each item is supposed to bring you a different kind of luck.
  • Something old symbolizes continuity with the bride’s family and the past.
  • Something new means optimism and hope for the bride’s new life ahead.
  • Something borrowed is actually supposed to be loaned from a happily married friend or family member, whose good fortune in marriage is supposed to carry over to the new bride.
  • Something blue goes back as far as ancient Rome, when brides wore blue to symbolize love, modesty, and fidelity.
  • The silver sixpence represents a wish for wealth and good fortune.

So, since all of these are supposed to be important on your wedding day, I've been thinking hard about what I'm going to do for each of them.

Something Old:


My mom got me this necklace on my sixteenth birthday.  She always got upset with me because I never wore it.  It's really big though and it has a lot of sentimental value, so I was always scared I was going to lose it.  So, to honor my mom, I'm going to tie the necklace around the stem of my bouquet.

Something New:


The majority of the stuff on me will be something new, but I'm considering my dress to be the main thing.  It's my favorite thing that I'm wearing that day.

Something Borrowed:
This is the one thing I haven't decided yet.  My grandmother has offered to let me borrow some of her jewelry, but I haven't seen any of it, so I'm not sure.

Something Blue:


I found these panties at Charlotte Russe and I knew they were perfect for my something blue.  I'm going to put my new last name on the butt with rhinestones (tutorial coming soon!)

Sixpence:


Most brides just buy a knock-off sixpence online, but my family is British, so I was lucky to be able to get a real one.  My grandmother found one in her bureau for me.  It's even more special because the year on the sixpence is the year my mother was born.  I'm going to have to tape this inside my shoe because it would fall out otherwise.
You have read this article with the title Something Old, New, Borrowed, Blue. You can bookmark this page URL http://ssablues.blogspot.com/2010/01/something-old-new-borrowed-blue.html. Thanks!
Write by: AN - Monday, January 25, 2010

Comments "Something Old, New, Borrowed, Blue"

Post a Comment